Ruby on Rails Developer
Headquarters: Nottingham, UK
Safeguarding Monitor provide systems to schools, colleges and multi-academy trusts to help keep children safe - the work we do really makes a difference. We were established a year ago and were recently acquired by Impero, a market leader in online safety. We’re a remote UK-based team and are looking for multiple Ruby on Rails Engineers to join us.
We are first and foremost looking for developers who can demonstrate strong engineering principles, and whether you’ve been developing for one year or five we may have a role for you. We can offer you the technical challenges, high standards and opportunity to make a difference to our products. We have an exciting roadmap ahead and you can be part of that journey as we transition from a startup to a global product offering. Our team is growing in a way that will allow you to play to your strengths: enjoy maintenance and optimisation, data analysis, or building huge new features? There’ll be a fit for you.
Our platform is built exclusively in Ruby on Rails, and we’re working towards continuous delivery - we currently deploy something every day of the week. We do the majority of our work and daily communication through Slack, with regular conference calls, screen shares, and opportunities for pair programming. We run weekly sprints in an agile fashion, but don’t get bogged down in the process. Our roadmap and in-flight boards are managed with Trello, and code is peer reviewed regularly through Github. We’re running above 90% code coverage, with a test suite written in RSpec and continuous integration to run these tests and code quality metrics.
We believe in creating careers, not jobs. During your time with us you’ll receive regular, honest, helpful feedback. We’ll be looking for ways to grow your expertise, and we will provide opportunities for your professional development. Although we’re a remote team, we speak every day, and arrange regular meetings both by department and as a company.
- Experience and skills developing web applications with Ruby on Rails
- Experience with MySQL/MariaDB or another relational database
- Experience with HTML, CSS, and jQuery
- Experience with using Git or Subversion
- An interest in test-driven development
- Enthusiasm for understanding technical ideas and explaining them clearly to other members of the team
- An appreciation of when things “look right”: we don’t expect you to be a designer (we have designers for that!) but we like attention to detail
- A willingness to provide technical support to the team, and occasionally customers
- Comfortable using macOS as your day-to-day operating system, or happy to learn
- A strong standard of spoken and written English
- An interest in the context and use of your work across education and safeguarding
Other things that might be useful:
- Experience in writing specs with RSpec
- Experience working with and on Linux/Unix operating systems
- Experience in server automation using Terraform or Puppet
- Experience with data analysis, using R or a similar tool
- Experience working remotely and in an agile environment
- Work remotely, with travel covered for training days and team building
- Essential hardware provided, including a laptop
- Full training, including safeguarding, health and safety and information security
- Staff Employee Assistance Program
- 28 days’ holiday pro-rata, including bank holidays
- Regular wage and benefits reviews
To apply: Send a personalised covering letter, CV and GitHub profile or code samples to [email protected]
Listing Source: https://weworkremotely.com/remote-jobs/safeguarding-monitor-ruby-on-rails-developer