Freelance Game Developer
We are looking for a tech-focussed game developer to work with us long term to enhance the core technology on which our games are based.
- Initial 3-6 month contract (with opportunity to extend).
- Rates negotiable depending on experience
- Part time / full time (minimum 2 days per week, flexible depending on skills / experience)
- Remote working (southern UK preferred, or location within 3 hrs of GMT)
Teach Your Monster to Read is a multiple BAFTA award-nominated game series which helps children learn to read.
See our trailer here for a flavour of the game: https://vimeo.com/273718792
It is now one of the world’s most popular kids educational apps and we’re helping millions of children every year learn to read - creating huge worldwide impact and are still growing fast. We're regularly a No.1 kids educational app worldwide in the iOS and Google Play stores.
Although we’re a non-profit, we’re run more like a startup with a small, agile, highly talented team.
What you'll be doing
You'll be enhancing our core technology, ensuring it keeps up with the growth of our games.
All of our products are built in Haxe using a custom game engine, but this work will encompass a large range of different tasks and languages.
This will include engine improvements, general refactoring, integrating various native iOS and Android features, building tools and potentially even server-side work.
This may include tasks such as:
- Improving our engine technology, stripping out and consolidating features, and in the longer terms moving the native C / C++ layer to an in-house solution.
- Refactoring and optimising our games, trying to get both iOS and Android versions of the game running at 60fps on lower end handsets.
- Putting in place a proper build process and potentially a continuous integration system, enhancing tooling and so on to ease our transition into a larger multi-project team.
- In the long run, helping to develop a process for maintaining and updating our live games (played by millions every year) across iOS, Android, HTML5 and Flash (for now!).
What we’re looking for
- An experienced, tech-focused, games developer. Ideally with some background in mobile games.
- Comfortable in a range of programming languages, including statically typed ECMAScript-style languages such as Haxe or Typescript as well as familiarity with C/C++.
- A keen interest in games technology, build systems, unit testing, tools etc.
- Flexible and happy to turn their hand to anything.
- Communication and remote collaboration skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Fluency in English, both written and spoken
We’ll be reviewing applications on 24th September 2018 and will make decisions shortly afterwards. However please get your information to us as soon as possible.
Find out more
To apply: Email [email protected] with either a CV or an email about why you’d like to be considered.
Listing Source: https://weworkremotely.com/remote-jobs/teach-monster-games-ltd-freelance-game-developer