Director of Business Development
Headquarters: Walnut, CA
Born from the global movement spawned by Eric Ries’ books, Lean Startup Company
offers the most exciting education solutions in modern management available today.
A cutting-edge methodology, Lean Startup principles provide a scientific approach to problem-solving and a framework for innovation, so you can learn what your customers really want. It’s about testing continuously, so you can effectively adapt and adjust before it’s too late.
LSCo’s year-round education
efforts bring the entrepreneurial spirit to all types of organizations and help them transform how they work. We serve every size company and sector of the economy - from the the aspiring entrepreneur to high-growth startups, nonprofits, and large bureaucratic institutions. The industry looks to us for practical knowledge and valuable lessons in modern management. Through our various media
and live event efforts, we aim to serve our highly-engaged community members with professional, high-quality, and practical content.
As the Lean Startup movement grows, there is an increasing need to connect those who want to learn with those who want to help them move towards working the Startup Way. And Lean Startup Co
. is the answer.
ABOUT THE POSITION
As the home base for the Lean Startup movement, we have a hearty community of enthusiastic followers. So we don’t need a Director of Business Development who preaches best practices. We are seeking a tenacious and metrics-driven Director of Business Development who has a proven track record of mastering product knowledge, building meaningful client relationships, closing large deals with enterprise companies and championing new ways of supporting our customers.
Role Overview: Learn and document the goals and challenges of large organizations seeking Lean Startup Education, determine if they’re the right fit for us to support, gain clarity on the outcome(s) they are looking for, only commit to what our Faculty can surely deliver, negotiate and close sales.
Come join us if you’re ready to help us help our customers solve the world’s biggest problems.
You’ll thrive in this role if you have experience delivering results in these four areas of core competency:
Not only are you a sales extraordinaire, but you are also financially savvy.
- You have a natural sales ability and the experience to back it up. You’ve helped develop and lead company Business Development/Sales strategy to drive sales and revenue growth.
- You’ve been the top Business Development/Sales performer at 1+ companies and have a track record of successful outcomes using data-driven decision-making.
- You’re excited to share examples of 1) your ability to pitch ideas and create tests, with the outcome to drive sales and revenue growth, 2) different strategies (e.g. new pricing) you’ve tested, and 3) impact you’ve had
You are already an all-star Director of Business Development. Don’t bother talking table stakes. All you need to ramp up is time to fully master all the products we have to offer.
- Sure, there are plenty of folks that can show how they produce results from their efforts, but you also demonstrate a deep understanding of the business and delicate balance between business development spend, testing, and results.
- You have a track record of developing, setting and managing ambitious and actionable sales goals, forecasts, and operating budgets that are aligned to target metrics.
- You believe in and practice financial stewardship.
You’re in it not to just hit sales goals, but to help us achieve company goals and make a bigger impact in our community.
- You are an excellent listener. You create meaningful relationships with customers and believe in matching their needs with the services that will solve their unique problems.
- You’re excited to sell product offerings in the consulting services space. You’re comfortable pitching new (or refined) product offerings to existing and new markets and verticals
- You’re a master at presenting and getting buy-in from senior leader and executive level stakeholders and know what it takes to drive closing a deal from initial qualification, formal evaluation, and negotiation all the way through to close, including pricing, legal and procurement approval
- You’re proud to represent, and intimately know, all facets of the products you’ve sold. You can clearly communicate the value of the last few products you sold (and how it is a validated solution for your customer’s problems!).
- You’re a team player at heart. You have sales goals to hit, and you know how to work with other functions (e.g. marketing, account management, etc) to make them happen.
- You can proudly share stories about how your actions and efforts supported company goals/growth.
In this role, you’ll work closely with the Director of Sales to achieve the following:
- Test, report on, learn and iterate from the outcomes of sales initiatives
- You’ll be deeply involved with:
- Business development and sales planning and reporting (including setting annual revenue targets)
- Pipeline management and expansion opportunities
You’ll also work closely with the Director of Marketing to help inform and refine LS education products based on insider knowledge obtained from building meaningful client relationships.
You’ll fit right into this role and our team if:
- You are a great listener and have the ability to understand customer goals and pain points, and how our products can help solve some of their biggest challenges.
- You’re curious and resourceful. You LOVE solving problems and aren’t afraid to admit you are obsessed with getting the details right.
- You have experience with, and ENJOY working for a young growing startup. You’ll love the balance you need in this role; a mix of big picture, strategic thinking and rolling up your sleeves and getting into the details.
- You love that some processes haven’t been put in place. You’re excited to be deeply involved with building out the business development and sales function and the systems and processes to steer a well-run ship and team.
- You have a strong sense of ownership and urgency as it relates to the health of the company.
- You possess high levels of integrity, autonomy, and self-motivation.
- You are open to feedback, take ownership of your mistakes, and love applying your lessons learned to get 10x better.
- You have a keen ability to manage competing and changing priorities.
- You are assertive, fair, and capable of directing others and implementing projects with little to no supervision.
- You work well with cross-functional teams and hold yourself accountable for your actions.
- BA/BS in Marketing, Business, Communication or related field preferred. MBA or other related graduate degree a plus.
- 7+ years of Sales experience
- Familiarity with and enjoy working remotely and collaboratively (Slack, Zoom, Google apps).
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills.
- Consistent and thorough attention to detail; it's important to understand the goals and challenges of customers, craft a proposal that matches the outcomes they are looking for with our offerings, negotiate a contract that encompasses the above, and ensure our Team and Faculty can deliver on those commitments.
- Ability to juggle and prioritize many different tasks simultaneously, and enjoy collaborating with a wide range of people.
- Experience with Salesforce
- Experience speaking to and negotiating with C-Suite and Senior Executives at medium to enterprise-level companies
- Availability during regular business hours to schedule calls with prospects in varying time zones.
- Incorporate the mission of Lean Startup Company into all aspects of the role, like encouraging customers to share their Lean Startup learnings and story with our community via blog, podcast or case study.
Bonus if you have:
- Experience selling consulting services
- Business development experience in Lean Startup, tech and/or enterprise innovation spaces.
Why You’ll Love Working With Us
You can work from wherever you want, as long as you have a working laptop and solid internet connection.
- We encourage growth.
- If it’s your dream to become a leader in an organization, this is the role for you. We seek people who want to be promoted and grow with us.
- We’re a 100% remote team using fun, collaborative tools.
- We encourage unplugging for vacation and prefer you don’t check email while you’re away.
- If you’ve ever wanted to be in the middle of it all and leave a legacy, this is it. The work we do will go down in history as powerfully-transformative.
- We are a startup with global brand recognition headquartered in San Francisco, CA. Our global community will give you a front row seat to the challenges they’re facing around innovation. Better yet, you get to help them solve their problems.
The position is a 100% remote, full-time role, but we ask that you’re 1) located in the U.S. and 2) available to communicate during Pacific Time business hours.
*Note - We understand that you are eager to hear back from us. We receive a lot of applications and cannot respond to all of them. Please do not reach out to us regarding your application. If there is a mutual fit, we will contact you to move forward with the next steps in the process.
To apply: https://lean-startup-co.breezy.hr/p/2ca49bcd5bcc01-director-of-business-development?source=weworkremotely
Listing Source: https://weworkremotely.com/remote-jobs/lean-startup-co-director-of-business-development